Tuesday, February 20, 2018

Available for a limited time...

Next cab off the fundraising rank is a short run of cycling kit...


2018 Tour de France training kit

I started my tertiary studies at Victoria University of Wellington in 1992, and have never left.  I've got four qualifications from there, and have been on the permanent staff since 2002.  Joining a team to go to ride the 2018 Tour de France route makes perfect sense for me, personally:  my experience with depression, and my cycling inclinations combine nicely for this 3600km fundraising ride for the Mental Health Foundation of New Zealand.

My employer agreed that it also makes sense for them too, and in exchange for initiatives I'll be involved in at the university, which I hope will benefit all members of the community, but especially students and staff who themselves are dealing with mental illness, they kindly agreed to financially support my trip.

What better way for a cyclist to say thank you, than to wave the flag while on the bike?!

My friends at Ultimo very kindly did a record-setting turnaround for me so that I might be suited up appropriately in time for Go By Bike Day.

Being interviewed at Go By Bike Day, 7 February, 2018

Amusingly, the rush immediately paid dividends, with some great media exposure in the next day's Dominion Post.

Aside from the university's branding, the design features the French national flag, and logos of my long-time personal sponsor Oli Brooke-White at Roadworks, people who've supported me over the years (and now), Yeti NZ, Sweet Cheeks and Capital Cycles, and my own tip of the hat to W.O.R.D. (which has fundamentally changed my family life), Hayden Roulston (coach of the entire 2018 team) and the Wellington Masters Cycling Club, of which I am a member.


Jersey, available in aero or relaxed cuts

Shorts, bib or not.  

I'm not only delighted by the university's commitment to advancing the goals of the Mental Health Foundation, and by their support of me, but also that they're willing for the kit I'll be training in over the next four months to be available to others.



5th Anniversary Le Cycle-Tour de France kit

The 2018 adventure will take me back to a few roads I traversed on one of the most formative experiences I've had in my adult life - Le Cycle-Tour de France.  To date, only a few people have worn this jersey:  my beautiful wife and daughters, Oli, and my coach, Joel Healy.  It's a beautiful adaptation of the classic Roadworks kit, and I'd love to see it out and about more often.

In action on the Col du Glandon, 2013




Ordering

I'd like to submit a bulk order on Monday 12 March.  Pricing below includes a donation per item to the Mental Health Foundation of New Zealand.

  • Vic ensemble (shorts + jersey):  $250 (slightly less for non-aero jersey and/or non-bib shorts)
  • Jersey only (either design):  $125 (slightly less for non-aero version)
Other products in Ultimo's range are available on request (e.g. I'm getting a wind/water resistant gilet made, and I know a few MTBers who might like a DH-style jersey).  Don't hesitate to ask...!

If you've already made a voluntary donation (e.g. overpaying for the MTB series, or straight out generosity via my fundraising page, further discounts will apply.  

If you would like to order something, please get in touch with me via email, at siftyjohn@gmail.com and we can nail down sizing and pricing.  



* * * * * 

This blog describes a fundraising project for the Mental Health Foundation of New Zealand.
  • Nearly 50% of New Zealanders will experience a mental health problem in their lifetime, and one in five will have experienced a mental illness this year.
  • Depression is set to overcome heart disease as the biggest global health burden by 2020.
  • The Mental Health Foundation (MHF) is a charity that works towards reducing stigma and discrimination associated with mental illness. We provide free support, training, and resources for anyone who is going through a difficult time, or for people who are supporting loved ones.
To make a donation, visit https://events.mentalhealth.org.nz/fundraisers/sifter.  Any contribution, big or small is greatly appreciated, and will be put to good use by the fine folk at MHF.

1 comment:

  1. more power to your pedal!
    Have a good ride...stay between the hedges (such as they are!) and stay rubber side down

    ReplyDelete